Image Map

Easter Sunday in Napoli


Easter Sunday was greeted by a parade of Catholics, dancing and bowing towards shrines of Jesus that litter the alleyways of Napoli. Big drums and circling of flags lead the precession followed closely by spectators and children.  Duper and I had a bird's eye view from the hostel windows.





We hit the streets knowing today of all days there wouldn't be much traffic.  All the stores would be closed and most people don't move around too much on a Sunday.





We made our way west to find the heavily polluted waters of the Napolian coast.






Mount Vesuvius looming in the background.





Felt like I had to show off the statue Jawn boxers.








We found a nice looking restaurant that was open.  One of none so we had to take it.  Turned out to be absolutely amazing!  Not to mention that these amazing works of art are only like 5 bucks.  Feast!





So as we are leaving I notice the man responsible for these magnificent pies was working a wood-burning stove.  I quickly went in for some photos.




I got to this photo of inside the oven.  As I took one, I quickly went for another as a safety shot.  The man couldn't get around me and the masterpiece was in the oven for 1 split second too long.  He mumbled something and nearly dove in to retrieve the treasure.  Honestly, the man moved as if a bombed was going to explode if that calzone didn't get air.  A couple nasty, old birds had some unpleasant things to say to me as I just apologized in English and checked to see if I got the shot.  Turns out, I did!  Sorry, Calzone.





Herculaneum was a sister city to Pompeii.  It too suffered defeat in the Mount Vesuvius blast that buried the once thriving beach town.  Again, this lost city has been excavated and is now ready for the public to learn about.  It being Sunday, naturally it was closed but we caught a scene from the top.







We found a quaint, little park nearby.  Well manicured and respected by it's patrons, the grassy lot was the perfect place to kick back and rest the dogs for a New York minute.







The streets match the people here.  Very lively and ready to sing at the top of their lungs.  It seems as if every person in Napoli was their own character.  Pride in Life.




Futból.



When I went past this alley, I instantly did a double take.  I felt that this scene has everything Napoli had to offer.  I vividly remember thinking that this is how I would sum up Napoli and Italy alike. 

Weathered, Elegant, Prideful, Traditional, Grounded.  Napoli.